Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Bacon weeved meatloaf

This recipe was inspired by a fellow Foodie, Isabelle at Home: http://isabelleathome.wordpress.com/ here is a link for her blog (check her out she is AMAZING).  She posted last week about how meatloaf never really had a place in her home, and I can say the same thing. My boys will eat it, but they glare at me the whole time, so I though about it. What does every guy love? well... Bacon! So, I decided to give it ago. Now, I must apologize, as I am not known to follow recipes well, and I often add "a little" of this or that, but as I have learned meatloaf take more precision then that.
So, to get started I sauteed green, red, and yellow peppers and onions in butter and a little salt and pepper. As that was sauteing, I took the bacon and created a weave as it were. I attempted to slide this off wax paper and onto the meatloaf, but that trick really didn't work.

For the Meatloaf:

Veggies on their way to being ready.
I took 3 pounds ground beef (yes this makes a large meatloaf) and mixed in 2 eggs, 1 pound of Italian sausage,  2 cups milk, 2 cups bread crumbs, salt and pepper and the veggies that I sauteed. After it was all mixed, I added the bacon weave, and tucked it around the meatloaf (more like a giant meat ball). Into the oven for roughly an hour and a half, at 350 degrees. Once you hit the one hour point, you want to check frequently to make sure the bacon does not burn, and to make sure the meat is cooking properly. A note on the bacon, I used thick cut because it was better suited to cook longer.

For the homemade mashed potatoes:

and your really going to have to bear with me on the "little bit of this" and "little bit of that" measurements. I say roughly two whole potatoes for adults, and I wanted left overs so I boiled 6 large potatoes for about 30 minutes. You want the fork to go right into the potatoes to make sure it's done. Then (and this is KEY) for good mashed potatoes, you really need a good hand masher, and you crush them after adding some milk and butter and salt and pepper. This can be really good therapy, folks ;) I prefer mine with no lumps, so I continue to crush and mix them till they are smooth. I also added cheddar cheese and sour cream. I did turn the heat on for a bit to allow the cheese to melt.


Bacon weave, so pretty.

Tasty Dinner!
I must apologize for the quality of the meatloaf pictures, its not fabulous, and frankly the meatloaf didn't survive long enough to get another picture.

1 comment:

  1. omg that looks so good. I'm drooling right now. BACON!!!!

    ReplyDelete